(CEFPODOXIME PROXETIL TABLET)
Each film coated tablet contains:Cefpodoxime Proxetil I.P
Eq. to anhydrous Cefpodoxime........ 200 mg
Varoxime is an oral third generation cephalosporin antibiotic. It is active against most Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria. It is commonly used to treat acute otitis media, pharyngitis, and sinusitis. Cefpodoxime proxetil is a prodrug which is absorbed and de-esterified by the intestinal mucosa to Cefpodoxime.
Cefpodoxime Proxetil is used in the treatment of certain bacterial infections in the body like:
- Urinary tract infection
- Sexually transmitted disease (Gonorrhea)
- Lung infection (Pneumonia)
- Kidney infection (Pyelonephritis)
- Sinusitis, skin or soft tissue Infection
- Inflammation of tonsils (Tonsillitis)
- Sore throat (Pharyngitis)
- Upper respiratory tract infection.
Varoxime is supplied for oral administration in adults and should be swallowed whole with a sufficient amount of liquid. It should be taken preferably with food food to enhance absorption.
The recommended dosages, durations of treatment, and applicable patient population are as described in the following chart:
|Adults and adolescents (aged 12 years and older)|
|Type of Infection||Total Daily Dose||Dose Frequency||Duration|
|Pharyngitis and/or tonsillitis||200 mg||100 mg Q12 hours||5–10 days|
|Acute community-acquired pneumonia||400 mg||200 mg Q12 hours||14 days|
|Acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis||400 mg||200 mg Q12 hours||10 days|
|Uncomplicated gonorrhea (men and women) and
rectal gonococcal infections (women)
|200 mg||single dose|
|Skin and skin structure||800 mg||400 mg Q12 hours||7–14 days|
|Acute maxillary sinusitis||400 mg||200 mg Q12 hours||10 days|
|Uncomplicated urinary tract infection||200 mg||100 mg Q12 hours||7 days|
- Cefpodoxime proxetil is contraindicated in patients with a known allergy to cefpodoxime or to the cephalosporin group of antibiotics or to any of the excipients.
- It is also contraindicated in patients with previous history of immediate and / or severe hypersensitivity reaction (anaphylaxis) to penicillin or other betalactam antibiotic.
Alu-Alu blister of 10 Tablets. Carton of 10 x 10’s